Tuesday, 1 May 2012

summer mini bloghop

 I rashly agreed to take part in the ILWS summer mini blog hop -then suddenly realised that time was running out - fast - and I had not even opened the stamps...................so I spent a couple of afternoons over the very wet weekend  playing, and these cards are the result.
They are all based on 6"square white cards, and all use my favourite homemade background technique of just random stamping, mostly with just one inkpad being used. Lisa tells me that in SU terms, this is a one-sheet wonder - whatever, I love doing them!
 The blue card used night of navy and all the Open Sea stamps apart from the ship to make the background. The main image is Sail Away, stamped in black ink, then the sails and boat masked and a small circle of post-it to mask the sun before sponging the sky and sea in. I used an assortment of  inkspots for this, from a retired subtles collection picked up on ebay - even if they were retired, I can't think why anyone would sell them, they are such useful little pads! (more are now on the -to-order list).
The second card used another of the spots, really rust, which I think might match up with cajun craze? This time I did use the sailing ship from Open Sea, but also paired it with the speedboat from Need for Speed - I thought it made a nice contrast. the sea was sponged using one of the spots, and the edges of the white card and the ship images were sponged with early espresso.
The last one was more 'arty', and the one I enjoyed doing the most. The base card was sponged with crumb cake, bashful blue, night of navy inks randomly all over, then edged with early espresso. i used early espresso to stamp the background and the ship image, and to edge the ship image.
The tag shape was cut by hand after stamping the ledger image onto a piece of sahara sand card, sponging the edges with early espresso before crumpling it up, flattening out, rubbing the early espresso pad over the creases and along the edges after using the distressing tool, then spraying with water and leaving to dry.  The espresso ink bleeds green, which gave the aged wrecked look I was after. Several strands of linen thread  finished it off before adding it on dimensionals over the ship image. The small square letters are some I picked up from a fellow crafter at the weekend, no idea where they came from originally, but they seemed to fit!
Thanks for looking, hope you liked what you saw!
If you came from Ally's blog, you need to go to Kim's for the next leg - or start this group from Emily's blog. 
The other half of the bloghop starts with Alison's blog if you still feel like more inspiration................and have a few spare hours.........
Apologies to any early visitors - the scheduled post didn't work, and I've just reset it!