Friday, 2 August 2013

new catalogue bloghop

 Several demos from ILWS  have got together for a new catalogue bloghop, organised by Laura, who not surprisingly is first on the list! You should have come to me from Adele, and I am trying to match her lovely sample...........
One of my favourite new stamp sets is By the Tide, and I have made a set of 5  6x6 cards using this set, and mostly just 3 colours of ink - coastal cabana, pistachio pudding and black - with a bit of crumb cake ,smokey slate and crisp cantaloupe.for contrasts.
I wanted to try to make a porthole using me new circles framelits - I cut the frame from natural impressions paper, using the reverse side of the woodgrain sheet, and doodled the screws on using a marker pen. I used the negative shape as a mask to brush (sponges work just as well, you just get a softer effect with brushes)  the coastal cabana and pistachio inks for the background, stamped the coral stamp several times in cabana and smokey slate, and the seahorses in cabana.


 The second and third cards were very similar, using masking paper to create a strip across the card, which was inked with the cabana and pistachio inks again. After the seahorses were added I stamped the coral in cantaloupe across the bottom of the stripe, then stamped and embossed the fish in black before adding a little colour with the cabana and cantaloupe inks.
The lobster card was very similar, except the coral was stamped in cabana ink and the embossed lobster was stamped over the edge of the stripe and coloured with pistachio, cantaloupe and crumb cake-the photo of a live lobster I found on Google showed it in browny greens, not red, which is apparently only cooked lobster............
For the last two cards I used a negative mask cut using the largest die from apothecary accents framelits and
again brushed the background with cabana and pistachio inks. the seahorse and the coral was stamped 3 times with cabana ink before embossing the fish again in black and colouring it with cabana  and crumb cake.
The final card, the coral was stamped in cantaloupe, lobster with baked brown sugar and clear embossed, then coloured with cabana and cantaloupe inks. The shell was stamped onto so saffron card in baked brown sugar, ,coloured with pistachio ink and highlighted with white gel pen, cut out and glued below the lobster.



The bag was made using coastal cabana card for the base, handles were seam binding coloured by dragging over the cabana ink pad (very messy, even I used gloves and left it to dry overnight before adding to the bag). Only the cabana and pistachio inks were used for the panel, which got a whoosh with the smoosh spray to give it a bit of a sheen - a mistake, as it didn't photograph well!
Your next stop is at Leanne's - enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Love your colour choices here - just right for the 'fishy' images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful projects Veronica, I love the porthole!
    Margaret x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgoeus set and the colours match the theme perfectly! Jane :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I toyed with the idea of this set. Think I have now changed my mind about it and have to pop it in the shopping trolley :) Love what you have done with them :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely set of cards. You are very talented Veronica. I love them. (And I'm with Sarah - will definitely be buying By The Tide. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a set I can see myself getting but I love what you've done with them. Colours are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colours and some fab stamping techniques. Thank you for the ideas and inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great reminder of how versatile masking can be - gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a stunning effect you've achieved. Must have a try with these techniques. Perfect colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that technique is georgeous! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete